Thursday, April 23, 2009

Confirmation - Candidate and Sponsor Commitment

CANDIDATE AND SPONSOR COMMITMENT

Readings
First Reading: Isaiah 41:8-10, 13 (God gives his people strength)
A Reading from the Prophet Isaiah
God says, “But you, Israel my servant, you are the people that I have chosen, the descendants of Abraham, my friend. I brought you from the ends of the earth; I called you from its farthest corners and said to you, “You are my servant.” I did not reject you, but chose you. Do not be afraid – I am with you! I am your God – let nothing terrify you! I will make you strong and help you; I will protect you and save you. I am the Lord your God; I strengthen you and tell you, “Do not be afraid; I will help you.”
This is the Word of the Lord

Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 16:1-3,11

Response: You are my Lord
Protect me O God; I trust in you for safety.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
All the good things I have, come from you.” (R)

How excellent are the Lord’s faithful people!
My greatest pleasure is to be with them. (R)

You will show me the path that leads to life;
Your presence fills me with joy and brings me pleasure. (R)

Gospel Acclamation:
Alleluia, alleluia
Be happy and glad for a great reward is kept for you in heaven.
Alleluia

Gospel: Matthew 5:1-12a (Beatitudes)

Homily

Perhaps you could mention here about commitment to Mass attendance, getting involved in Community service (they should complete 10 hours before Confirmation) and/ or getting involved in a parish ministry. Those involved in the parishes seldom leave the church.
Also Confirmation is a beginning not an end.

Presentation of Beatitudes to candidates
(see attached document)

Explanation of what it means to be a sponsor. (must the sponsors get copies of this?)

Qualities of a sponsor
Someone who will guide you and share the story of faith with you. You're looking for someone you trust, whose faith you admire and who will be there for you. The requirements are that they be confirmed Catholics, at least 16 years old (for maturity) and practicing members of the Church, while not being your parents someone who is active in church, can share why faith is important to him/her and who lives close enough to help the candidate with his/her preparation.
What the sponsor can do to be the best possible sponsor
• Be a living model of faith. At least a part of what the candidate admires in you is your faith! Your faith should be authentic and sincere.
• Pray for your candidate and yourself. As candidates decide to be confirmed, they need spiritual strength. Your prayers for them are important, but so are prayers for yourself also. You need to pray that you can share why you value and practice your Catholic Faith. Try to attend Mass together, or even try to come to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation together.
• Participating in the ceremony. Participating in the ceremony is the easiest part of being a sponsor. Your basic job will be to place your hand on your candidate's right shoulder, and tell the bishop your candidate's Confirmation name. You're there to be a support, but your role on Confirmation day is only beginning.
• Don't forget this newly confirmed Catholic. After Confirmation day, remember the anniversary of their confirmation. Send a card or make a phone call. Help the candidates put the "Gifts of the Spirit" into practice. Invite them to Mass if you notice that are not attending as regularly as they should.

Sponsor – verbal commitment

Sponsors stand and say together:

I understand that the qualities of a sponsor are:
¤ To be mature of faith in thought, word and deed
¤ To be practising the Catholic faith
¤ To be prepared to guide this candidate should he/she require any assistance regarding carrying out her religious/spiritual duties.

I practise my Catholic Faith to the best of my ability realising that I am still growing in faith all of the time.

During the Mass on insert date and place/parish I will place my hand on the candidate’s shoulder as she(he) is confirmed to show that I will support her (him). I believe that she (he) is ready to be a Confirmed member of the Catholic community as she (he) is ready and willing to continue practising as a Catholic by receiving the Sacrament of Eucharist each Sunday at Mass and the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once a year.

I in turn will pray for and support the candidate encouraging her (him) to fulfil her (his) Christian Obligations.


Sponsor - signature

Candidates are called up one by one and they accompany the sponsor to sign the sponsor card. (sponsors were given copies of the sponsor card two weeks ago).

Prayer in family groups
Each family unit sits together and passes around a prayer candle. The person holding the candle says a prayer out loud for that candidate and the family. Quiet music is played.

Final Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment