Thursday, April 23, 2009

Catechists Hands - Prayer

I look at my hands
With discovery new.
Such awesome gifts they are
Yet challenging too!

God sealed them forever
With God’s powerful grace
That I might give blessings
And anoint in God’s place.

I look at my hands
And examine just where
They’ve extended today
God’s passionate care.

Have I made them God’s own-
Have I raised them in prayer?
Were they eager to serve
And more willing to share?

I look at my hands –
Are they quick to forgive?
Or do I pass judgement about how others live?

I’m content to receive
What’s delightful and free.
But I need to take hold
Of all God sends to me.

I look at my hands
Bathed in water run cold,
Accepting the cleansing
Of stains recent and old.

How often these hands lack
Proper care for their skin!
Life too calls for treatment
When it’s wounded by sin.

I look at my hands –
Could they pen words to say,
“God’s love is eternal!”
With conviction today?

I look at my hands
Used to take food and eat.
Bread blessed and then broken
Becomes communion treat.

Hands must freely unclasp
And palms must open wide
For them to be transformed
By Christ’s dwelling inside.

When I look at my hands
I see not only mine
But hands molded with love
Formed into Christ’s sublime?

(By Sr Marie Roccapriore, MPF)

No comments:

Post a Comment